I've decided to drink one beer from every country in the world. I know it's a tough job, but someone's got to do it. And that someone is me. The rules: I have to drink the whole beer, I have to photograph it to prove that I've done it, and it has to be an official, commercially produced beer (no homebrews). The only countries I can skip are ones that don't produce beer (haven't found any yet).

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Country #13: Indonesia


Bintang. Bintang. BINTANG!!! I love the sound of the word Bintang. It sounds like it's something that someone would scream at you in Indonesian before they start attacking you with machetes. It's also the name of a beer, the most popular beer in Indonesia in fact! Indonesia is of course a predominantly Muslim country, but it has a very thriving tourist market (mainly Australians, who despite moving gradually towards wine, are still quite heavy beer drinkers) so produces a fair bit of beer. Anyway Bintang is on the surface, a fairly traditional and not hugely interesting lager. Heineken has a fair bit to say in regards to its production, so that's not very surprising. But it has a nice fizz and a delicate slight hop to its body, and I found it to go down very well with spicy food. n fact, I washed down a home-made Beef Rendang with it (a legendary Indonesian dish), and it was quite marvellous! So make sure you pair this beer with the right kind of spicy food, and I think you'll find it quite pleasant indeed.

Name: Bintang
Country of production: Republic of Indonesia
Style: Lager
Taste: simple, crisp lager with lightly hopped nose and body
Cost: around AU$4 per bottle
Availability in AU: Low to medium
Cred: Low
My score: 6.5 out of 10 densely populated archipelagos

No comments:

Post a Comment