I've decided to drink one beer from every country in the world. I know it's a tough job, but someone's got to do it. And that someone is me. The rules: I have to drink the whole beer, I have to photograph it to prove that I've done it, and it has to be an official, commercially produced beer (no homebrews). The only countries I can skip are ones that don't produce beer (haven't found any yet).

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Country #6: Spain


I recently organised to go for a dinner with some friends at a restaurant in Sydney's Redfern area called Eathouse. I read a review of it and it was mentioned that they offered a beer designed by Ferran Adria and his coterie of mad chefs at legendary restaurant El Bulli (recently closed, but for a few years voted the best restaurant in the world). This obviously sounds like a job for Beer Around the World! The Estrella Damn Inedit arrives in a large, minimalist and imposing black bottle, which attracts attention. The beer itself is a Belgian-style white beer, with a citrus aroma, and a moderate fruity Belgian style body, but without that overly-sweet fruitiness that dominates many Belgian style ales which I have come to really dislike. There isn't an enormous amount of flavour here but it has a lovely, sparkly texture, a delightful fizz that lingers in the mouth. This, combined with the moderate flavour, means it does as its designer intended: to be a nice beer to match with spicy, flavourful food. I had it with spicy fried chicken and creamed corn, and it was great.

Name: Estrella Damn Inedit
Country of production: Spain
Style: Belgian Wit (white wheat beer)
Taste: Faint citrus aromas, mild fruity body
Cost: AU$13 for a 750ml bottle at a restaurant
Availability in AU: Low
Cred: Medium (cmon, it was designed by the best chef in the world)
My score: 7.5 out of 10 matadors

No comments:

Post a Comment