I've decided to drink one beer from every country in the world. I know it's a tough job, but someone's got to do it. And that someone is me. The rules: I have to drink the whole beer, I have to photograph it to prove that I've done it, and it has to be an official, commercially produced beer (no homebrews). The only countries I can skip are ones that don't produce beer (haven't found any yet).

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Country #5: Scotland


I recently spied at a local bottleshop a four-pack of beers made by the cult Scottish brewers Brewdog. These mad bastards are famous for renegade brewing and marketing activities such as making the strongest beer in the world at a whopping 55% alc/vol, and with the bottle stuffed in dead animals. Anyway I obviously jumped at this opportunity, and picked up a very nice beer. Punk 6% IPA (there’s apparently a 5% that’s not as good) is a potent, complex and classy beer. There’s a strong aroma of peaches and citrus, and it has a classic rich IPA body, with a very long, nutty finish. The only thing preventing this from getting an even higher score is that for me the finish is a bit too long and strong; I like my pale ales a bit more restrained at the end. But this is still a fantastic beer from Brewdog, and Scotland should be proud.

Name: Punk IPA 6%
Country of production: Scotland
Style: India Pale Ale
Taste: Strong nose of stone fruit, rich malty body with a lingering nutty finish
Cost: AU$20 for a 4 pack
Availability in AU: Low
Cred: Low-Medium
My score: 8.5 out of 10 claymores

No comments:

Post a Comment