I've decided to drink one beer from every country in the world. I know it's a tough job, but someone's got to do it. And that someone is me. The rules: I have to drink the whole beer, I have to photograph it to prove that I've done it, and it has to be an official, commercially produced beer (no homebrews). The only countries I can skip are ones that don't produce beer (haven't found any yet).

Monday, February 27, 2012

#15: Laos


Laos is a small landlocked country in Southeast Asia, not really famous for its beer, or perhaps really much else. Nevertheless they make a beer, called Beer Lao; I tried it in Thailand a while ago, forgot to photograph it, but managed to get my hands on it here. So what is it like?

Much as I wanted to like Beer Lao, I really can't say I did. Lao is a poor country, and their beer is made from rice (true) instead of barley or wheat, which is a cheap and easy to grow grain, but one that doesn't lend itself to quality beers. It starts off as a fairly average lager with a pretty strong malt tone, but about halfway through it develops a quite unpleasant stale, starchy aftertaste, which probably comes from the rice base. I'm afraid I can't really recommend Beer Lao.

Name: Beer Lao
Country of production: Lao People's Democratic Republic
Style: Lager
Taste: Medium bodied lager with unpleasant rice aftertaste developing
Cost: around AU$4 per bottle
Availability in AU: Low
Cred: Medium high
My score: 4.5 out of 10 oppressed tribal minorities

1 comment:

  1. Wow - Beer Lao has to be my favourite beer! Quite light tasting, and there's been no aftertaste that I've been aware of. Mind you, I've only drunk it over there...maybe there's a difference?

    ReplyDelete